Sunday, May 20, 2012

White Chili

dinner chili deliciousI never thought that chicken and chili would go together but if you haven't tried white chili it's something you at least have to try once!  It's kind of a combination of chili and chicken tortilla soup.  I got a recipe online that I made once and since I've made it several times I've done a lot of tweaking to it to really make it my own.  This is my recipe for White Chili.  Enjoy!


3-4 boneless chicken breasts
4 cans chicken broth
6 cans Great Northern beans
1 4 oz can diced green chiles
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 package Monterrey Jack cheese
1 bag of Frito's

Place the chicken in the bottom of a large stock pot.  Season chicken (about 5-6 shakes of each) with salt, pepper, dried chopped onions, garlic powder, cumin and oregano.  Pour 3 cans of the broth around chicken until chicken is completely covered.  If you need to use more broth to cover the chicken it won't make much difference.  There's 2 ways you can cook the chicken: You can either simmer it on low heat for a couple hours to make it super easy to pull apart or you can just boil it on medium high heat for about 20 minutes. 

Once chicken is cooked, remove from pot and shred and then return to the pot.  Next, add the last can of chicken broth, 2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper and green chiles.  Since I don't like chunks of peppers I puree my chiles in my food processor first but you can leave them as big as you'd like.  You're going to mix all this together and bring it to a boil.

Reduce heat to low and now you're going to add the beans.  I take 2 cans of the beans, drain one of  them and then mash them up in my food processor.  You could do this with a blender, a Bullet or even by hand if needed.  I add the mashed beans to the pot and then I drain 2 of the other cans of beans add those and with the remaining 2 cans I add them to the pot undrained.  Stir really well to get everything mixed together and now you're going to let it simmer for at least 30 minutes.  Once you're ready to eat, pour into bowls, top with cheese and Frito's and enjoy!

*Sometimes the chili comes out soupier than I like, so I will mix together 1/3 cup cold water with 3 tbsp corn starch and stir it into the chili.  This typically thickens it right up.  You can repeat this step a couple more times if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment