Thursday, July 19, 2012

Watermelon on a Stick

I saw this on Pinterest and thought "What a genius idea!".  We were going to a BBQ for the 4th of July so I thought this would be great to take.  They were a hit, especially with the kids!  I found the craft/popsicles sticks at Target in the kids craft section.  For $2 I got a package of 60 sticks so I had plenty with lots extra in case I want to build a popsicle stick birdhouse. :)







1 whole watermelon
1 package craft (popsicle) sticks

Lay the watermelon on it's side and start at one end and begin to slice watermelon into about inch thick slices.  Then cut each slice like a pie into about 4 pieces (maybe 6 if it's a big watermelon).  To insert the sticks, take a knife that has a really pointy tip and insert the knife into the rind of the watermelon about a half inch deep.  Take the popsicle stick and push it into the rind.  This will take a little practice, the first two I did the sticks came right out the flesh part of the watermelon!  Once you do it a couple times though it's easy to get the hang of keeping the stick straight and not going too far into the watermelon.  You'll definitely want to store and serve these in a bowl because the watermelon gets super juicy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment